Mayor Kevin Foy endorses Mark Kleinschmidt

Chapel Hill Mayor Kevin Foy has endorsed mayoral candidate Mark Kleinschmidt.

Kleinschmidt is the candidate whose vision is most in line with the historic vision of the town, Foy said.

"I think Mark understands the balance we need," Foy said. "It's easy to make all sorts of promises in a campaign and a lot more difficult to be a good judge of priorities."

The endorsement is another note of support for Kleinschmidt from traditional political forces in Chapel Hill.

In the election, forces in the local business community have endorsed and funded Town Council member Matt Czajkowski, while Kleinschmidt has received endorsements from the local branches of the Sierra Club and the NAACP.

Although Czajkowski’s campaign funds from private donations are more than quadruple those of Kleinschmidt, finance reports show Kleinschmidt as having nearly as many donors -- including current and former members of the Town Council.

Candidate Augustus Cho has not received major endorsements or campaign funds and Kevin Wolff announced he was dropping out of the race, although his name will remain on the ballot in Tuesday's election.

Kleinschmidt, with eight years of Town Council experience, is more able to think in terms of the town's comprehensive plan, Foy said.