To the individuals in charge of the basketball ticket policy: a number of comments on the change from two tickets to one.

Do you hate dating? What better excuse to ask out your crush than “I have an extra ticket to the game”? No extra tickets? No chance to meet that someone special!

Do you hate groups of friends?

Before, double tickets meant you were guaranteed going to the game with at least one friend. Even if two friends get tickets, they will likely have different phases complicating sitting together, let alone groups of 4 or 6.

Do you hate graduate students? While undergrads live in the dorms and have literally millions of friends, we graduate students have only a couple of friends because we are far too nerdy to venture out of the library or lab.

The chances of two grad students getting tickets to the same game: slim. Chances of getting the same phase: slimmer.

Finally, the purpose of the change was to increase ticket use.

Here’s the scenario of the old ticket distribution policy: I get tickets, invite my girlfriend, we meet up with two other friends, have a great time.

And then the scenario of the new ticket distribution policy: I get tickets, go by myself, make friends with some awesome freshman that’s 10 years younger than me and we become best friends forever, or more likely, I don’t go because I don’t know anyone else going.

Benjamin Heumann
Graduate Student
Geography