Now hiring: provost

New provost must have administrative savvy and classroom experience, uphold value of UNC degree

The search for a new provost is well under way. In choosing a replacement for Bernadette Gray-Little, the University needs to select a candidate with extensive administrative experience who at the same time is in touch with the classroom.

The provost is the second-highest ranking position on campus — below only the chancellor. The provost is also the chief academic officer of the University and has oversight responsibilities for budget and planning.

But that role is ever-expanding. While the chancellor deals with the N.C. General Assembly and is the external face of the University, the provost substantially influences its internal operations.

Value of a UNC degree

The student body deserves somebody who will strive to maintain the academic integrity of UNC above all else.

One of the provost’s main responsibilities is to create and implement academic policy.

That policy should continue to enhance the overall quality of a UNC education to ensure that the value of our degrees does not decline.

To effectively manage the academic integrity of our University, the next provost should have extensive policy-making and administrative experience.

Policy- and people-savvy

The search committee must look for somebody who is both policy-savvy and people-savvy.

The provost oversees several vice chancellors and all of the deans.

A “policy wonk” is needed, but directing UNC’s academic community also requires experience dealing with the politics and conflicts that accompany an administration.

There are 32 separate positions that report to the provost and nearly all of them will by vying for funding that comes from a finite — and shrinking — pot.

The provost needs to be able to slice through all of the competing interests to make sure the money is doled out logically and equitably.

In touch with the classroom

But at the same time, the new provost must not be out of touch with the classroom. A strong connection to the academic side of the University is vital.

Our new provost should be familiar with the implications policies will have on the learning environment.

Experience within the classroom would certainly build any potential candidate’s resume.

The new provost needs to be in touch with students and understand our priorities and needs. The provost cannot be too far removed from the classroom or else academic policy will be irrelevant to real-life classroom needs.

The tuition question

Our next provost must be able to reasonably navigate the tuition-policy debate.

As chairman of the tuition and fee advisory task force, the provost has important influence and sway when it comes to the tuition talks.

All students feel the burden of tuition hikes. But the University also has a vested interest in making sure faculty salaries remain competitive in our drive to become the nation’s top pubic university.

It is a complex debate, but there is room to develop a reasonable strategy. A practical, level-headed individual will be able to find common ground between competing interests.

Large public universities

The new hire should have experience working within a large public university. A top priority here at UNC is transparency and openness in our administration; coming from a public school with similar priorities would be beneficial.

But as Chancellor Holden Thorp stated, the top priority for the search committee should be to find the best person for the job, regardless of where he or she comes from.

The students’ say

While students might not have a direct link to the provost, the new hire will work in many areas to develop policies that will have an impact on students.

Student Body President Jasmin Jones sits on the provost search committee to represent student interests.

Students can make their voices heard by speaking directly with Jones (jasmin@email.unc.edu).

Also, as the list of candidates narrows, town hall meetings will be held where students will have the opportunity to voice their thoughts and opinions. There will also be an open candidate meeting where students can speak with prospective hires one-on-one.

Hiring a new provost will help shape the direction of the University for years to come.

It’s important that officials consider the policy and administrative capabilities of prospective candidates to ensure the continued academic viability of our institution.