Peer pressure works best: UNC should work with peers to stop grade in?ation

Capping grade inflation at the University unilaterally would be a huge step in the right direction.

But acting alone can only accomplish so much, and the University should strive for a joint-policy effort with peer institutions.

Andrew Perrin, chairman of the Faculty Council’s educational policy committee, mentioned two ideas at the council meeting Friday for a joint effort to tackle grade inflation: An ACC-wide policy or some kind of collaboration with peer institutions.

A conference-wide effort could take years to accomplish. The conference is diverse and includes schools from multiple regions, and these schools have different cultures and priorities. So the University should focus on a joint policy with peer institutions in the short run.

Perrin said that there’s some concern about the University tackling grade inflation alone. He said some faculty feel this would leave UNC students in a bad situation.

This concern is valid. UNC students would look less appealing if we have lower grade point averages than our counterparts at other prestigious public universities.

Perrin said some of the institutions the University regularly compares itself to would consider pursuing a policy with the University of California-Berkeley, the University of California-Los Angles, the University of Virginia and the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. These institutions have cultures similar to UNC and the University would serve its students well to pursue a joint-policy effort with these schools.

The Faculty Council and the educational policy committee should keep that in mind as they develop a policy to address grade inflation.

A grade inflation policy for UNC-Chapel Hill alone is better than nothing. But a joint effort with peer institutions is in the best interest of students.