Regarding the article, “Stadium plans ignore reality,” (Oct. 7): The only priorities of the Rams Club that have been distorted are those presented in The Daily Tar Heel.

It is one thing to question the spending and budget decisions of the University, since it is, first and foremost, responsible for the education of its students.

However, chastising the Rams Club for using part of its $260 million to refurbish Kenan Stadium is an egregious overstepping of bounds.

All it takes is a peek at the Rams Club’s mission statement to see that their well-defined role is as a sports booster.

Attempting to place some of the burden of the tough economic times on an organization explicitly dedicated to UNC athletics drastically misinterprets (or more likely, intentionally ignores) the club’s mission.

Furthermore, it overlooks the essential role of athletics in attracting prospective students — student-athletes or not — from across the country.

Obviously the economic situation the school and the world find themselves in is regrettable.

That being said, tossing around blame without doing due diligence on the situation — that displays ignorance on the part of the DTH, not the Rams Club.

David Martin
Senior
Philosophy, Economics