The executive branch of student government would like to address some of the concerns raised in the recent editorial “Student voice lost on Jones” (Oct. 20).

Tuition changes capture our attention each year, and students should participate in this discussion with as much information as possible.

That is why we wanted to respond by discussing our methods for inviting students to join the conversation. 

First, the editorial calls for our administration to create a public relations team.

We assembled this talented group before Fall Fest. They have received the tuition information, and they are creating a strategy for informing students of the University’s tuition options.

That strategy, which you should expect to see starting after Fall Break, will include informational fliers, a Pit presence with information and feedback forms and tuition or fee documentation posted to the student government Web site.

In addition, the student advisory committee to the chancellor made the University’s budget and tuition a topic for the Chancellor’s Open House on Tuesday, Oct. 27 from 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. in the Union fishbowl lounge.

SACC members will be there to answer questions and receive suggestions. Students can submit comments to sacc0910@gmail.com throughout the year.

Student feedback is something this administration takes very seriously.

We have several standing ways for students to give feedback, including a submission form on www.unc.edu/studgov that goes directly to the officers and our marketing team that has several large-scale student surveys in the pipeline.

This administration welcomes more input from the whole Carolina community, and we hope to hear from many students during this year’s tuition process.

Jasmin Jones
Student Body President 

David Bevevino
Student Body Vice President

Editor’s note: The 250-word limit was waived for this letter.