3 UNC a cappella groups to perform this weekend

Though all of the choral groups on campus share a passion for singing, they each have a unique approach. This weekend, three groups will bring their own styles to the stage.

“Every group kind of has their shtick,” said Katie Paxton, president of the Loreleis.

“The Clefs wear vests, and the Achordants are a little bit sillier and just go all out.”

The Loreleis and the Achordants will perform tonight and Saturday night, while Heels to Heaven will perform Sunday afternoon.

Here’s more about each group’s signature style:

The Loreleis

The Loreleis, the oldest all-female a cappella group on campus, have themed their fall jam “Sweet 16” in honor of their 16 members.

The Loreleis will perform at 8 p.m. today and Saturday in Gerrard Hall.

As an additional sweet treat, Sugarland will sell their cupcakes at the show. The business is sponsoring the jam with University Florist.

The group’s repertoire this weekend will consist of a hip-hop medley, a song by Nickel Creek and songs from today and the ’90s.

The jam also features several guest groups, including the Clef Hangers, and groups from Duke University, the University of Virginia, James Madison University and the University of Pennsylvania.

“All of our guest groups are all-male, so we think that’s fun,” Paxton said.

Tickets are $6 in advance and $8 at the door. People can also get tickets at the Student Union or Memorial Hall box offices or reserve tickets by sending an e-mail to loreleis@unc.edu.

The Achordants

The Achordants, an all-male a cappella group, are known for using a combination of songs and skits in their shows.

“We try to make our performances pretty fun and more engaging for the audience,” said Ben Phillis, a junior and Achordants president. “We just pride ourselves on entertaining.”

They will perform at 8:08 p.m. today and Saturday at Hamilton Hall, Room 100. Tickets are $5 in advance and $7 at the door.

Their shows this weekend are titled “The Achordants Stimulate the Economy.” The themes for the shows are usually picked to reflect recent events or whatever they can make entertaining.

“When the whole group is together goofing around, we just throw out ideas,” Phillis said.

At the concert, the Achordants will perform an eclectic mix of oldies, R&B, current pop, punk rock and ’90s music.

Heels to Heaven

Heels to Heaven, a contemporary Christian choir that sings a mix of accompanied and unaccompanied songs, will be performing a free one-hour concert at 3 p.m. Sunday in the Great Hall.

The group prides itself on its acceptance of anyone, regardless of singing experience.

“You don’t really have to have the best voice in world, just a willingness to come sing with us,” said Erica Hall, the group’s director.

The group will be performing a mix of traditional and contemporary Christian songs, both a cappella and accompanied by piano and guitar.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.