Battle of the Bands

UNC Dance Marathon chooses Carolina Blues

The UNC Dance Marathon hosted a “Battle of the Bands” Friday night at Players. DTH/Gladys Manzur

Despite a rainy week that could have dampened recruitment efforts, UNC Dance Marathon recruiters met their goal of signing up 1,600 dancers last week.

And on Friday, the group had one more spot to fill — a band to perform.

Three groups battled it out to benefit N.C. Children’s Hospital as flashing lights and rhythmic beats drew enthusiastic dancers to Players for Dance Marathon.

The annual Battle of the Bands not only helped Dance Marathon’s fundraising efforts for the hospital, but also allowed dancers to choose one of the bands that will perform at the 24-hour dance event on Feb. 19 and 20.

“It’s a cool way for people to give input on what they are going to be seeing and hearing at the marathon,” said Kate Gillam, publicity chairwoman for Dance Marathon.

Three local bands — Vintage Fresh, Carolina Blues and Thelonious Funk — competed for the approval of the dancers.

With the highest total score of the night, Carolina Blues walked away as the winner, reserving a spot to perform at Dance Marathon in front of an expected crowd of 1,600 dancers.

“Dance Marathon is great, and it is for a great cause. The opportunity came to us, so we went for it,” said Carolina Blues band member Ryan Watts.

Crowd members rated each band on a scale of one to 10, and were given the opportunity to submit their scores on a $1 bill for their vote to count twice or a $5 bill for their vote to count 5 times.

The band Tripp kicked off the competition, but had already secured a spot to play in February, thanks to their frequent wins in the past.

All proceeds from the event’s cover charge and the money included with the votes will go toward the final fundraising total in February.

“It was a big success and I was excited that the bands brought in people who were not involved with Dance Marathon, which was a positive,” said Mary Laurence McMillan, the entertainment chairwoman for Dance Marathon.

Crowd members said they were excited for the opportunity to decide who performs at Dance Marathon.

“We are going to be dancing for 24 hours, so it might as well be to a band I like,” said freshman Heather Sims, who signed up to dance this week.