Car driven into wall of apartment building

Two people hospitalized

There is a large hole in the wall of an apartment building on Rosemary Street after a car accident this morning. DTH/Anika Anand

Two people are hospitalized after a 22-year-old man drove a red Mustang into the wall of an apartment building on Rosemary Street at 2:30 a.m., Chapel Hill police said.

Police have charged Kedarius Keray Noel, who is not a student, with driving while impaired, speeding to elude police, failure to reduce speed and reckless driving to endanger the passenger in the car, Lt. Kevin Gunter said.

Noel suffered a broken leg and his passenger, whose name was not released, sustained severe facial injuries, Gunter said.

There is a large hole in the wall of the apartment building on Rosemary Street just across from Breadman's and west of Key Food Mart, Gunter said.

"Bricks were knocked off into the street," he said.

Police said they saw Noel driving a red Mustang around the corner from Henderson Street onto Rosemary Street heading west, accelerating as he turned, Gunter said.

"Tires were squealing. He was going a high rate of speed," Gunter said.

Annie Kleve, a resident of apartment four, said she was standing in her kitchen when she felt the car hit the building. She heard a scream and pulled open her blinds to see the car still vibrating from the crash, she said. She said the car hit one end of the building where the laundry room is, making a hole in the room, and flipped several times before landing at the other end of the building near some shrubs. As it was flipping, the car also made a 6-foot hole in the living room of apartment one, which is next to the laundry room, she said.

She pointed to what she and the other residents believe is the splattered car oil and car tire marks on the front of the building.

She said there was nothing left of the car.

"There were only the strips of metal that used to be exterior of the frame. The only way I could tell it was a Mustang was by looking at the spoiler," she said. "It looked like it had been through the first part of a car compactor." 

She said the driver fell out of the driver's seat and the passenger was ejected from the car.

Man accused of stabbing brother

Police also saw an assault with a deadly weapon Thursday between two brothers at 128 Johnson St.

After an argument, one brother stabbed the other in the temple with what was described as a steak knife, Gunter said.

Gregory Phillips Jenkins, 54, was charged with assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury and his brother was taken to the hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.