Committee votes to recommend tuition increases

Task force calls for equal percentage hikes for all students

The tuition and fees advisory task force voted today on two proposals to recommend to the chancellor that would increase tuition for all students at equal percentages, regardless of residency status.

The proposal favored by the committee would seek to raise resident tuition more than the state-mandated $200, an option not previously discussed.

The task force designated as their first choice an increase of 6.5 percent for both in-state and out-of-state students, an option that is not currently allowed under state law.

The legislature has restricted the increase in in-state tuition to 5.2 percent, or $200. The committee’s proposal would seek to convince lawmakers to raise this cap.

“This is the first bullet we’ve got to fire at the legislature,” said Bruce Carney, UNC’s interim executive vice chancellor and provost.

Members of the committee said they were unsure if they will be able to raise the cap, but want to show their commitment to equal increases for all students.

“I’m not sure I know if that’ll work, but we’re going to throw our support behind it to get it done,” said Board of Trustees member Roger Perry.

Student Body President Jasmin Jones and Student Body Vice President David Bevevino were the sole votes in favor of proposing the smaller tuition increase as the committee’s first choice.

Under a 5.2 percent increase for all students, undergraduate residents would see a $200 increase, and non-residents would see a $1,126.68 increase.

Under a 6.5 percent increase, undergraduate residents would see a $251 increase, and non-residents would see a $1,414.30 increase.