Don’t forget service aspect

Following through on Homecoming projects key

If Homecoming royalty don’t follow through on their projects, the contest risks becoming a pointless popularity contest. This is a shame, considering the service potential.

This year’s royalty, Desmond Rowe and Carly Brantmeyer, should be obligated to complete successfully their projects within the year. This would help put the focus of the tradition squarely back on service.

Every year countless candidates promise to raise disease awareness, assist hospital patients and educate little children. But following through fully is the true test of the Homecoming contest’s success.

The 2009 Homecoming king and queen must be held to a high standard in order to preserve the importance of their titles.

Brantmeyer’s program, PhotoTEACH, will focus on educating children from low-income families about photography. But working actively to engage children with the arts is an initiative that requires the support of the community, not just one person.

Rowe’s proposed relief project, Caring and Active Relief Through Athletics and Community, requires funding and support from local businesses and volunteers.

Although only students had a hand in the vote, both students and members of the community need to help the king and queen pursue their charitable endeavors. Everyone has the ability to volunteer time or dedicate funds to each worthy cause.

As spokespeople, Rowe and Brantmeyer need to call for action. Nothing will be achieved unless these two take the initiative.

Students aren’t voting for a title — but for a platform. These projects should be acted on as well as followed up on in the future.