In regards to the Oct. 29 editorial “Concert Not So Fabolous,” the Carolina Union Activities Board would like to defend this year’s Homecoming concerts. The Homecoming Concert committee, composed of Carolina Athletic Association and CUAB members, has worked since April to bring diverse Homecoming acts.

Availability, contract fees and scheduling were challenges. We are excited to present Fabolous and Carolina’s own Anoop Desai, two rather different artists.

We believe that Fabolous is worth the price. He has been nominated for countless awards. His single “Throw it in the Bag” has been on the charts for 21 weeks, peaking at number 14 one month ago. His most recent album “Loso’s Way” debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 in July.

We feel the campus popularity of Fabolous was misrepresented. More than 850 people have responded to the Facebook event, and more than 700 tickets have been sold within three days. Furthermore, Fabolous is the first major hip-hop/rap artist to perform Carolina’s Homecoming concert since 2006.

CUAB hosts exciting events all year. Collegehumor.com participated in the 2009 Carolina Comedy Festival. Mike Birbiglia, a Tony-nominated comedian, will perform in Memorial Hall November 12. Lost in the Trees, a popular local indie-folk band, performed Wednesday night to a packed audience, and three Chinese underground rock bands will play for free Nov. 10 in Gerrard Hall.

Amanda Kao
President
Carolina Union