In response to Courtney Webster’s comments on the choice of John Grisham as the commencement speaker (“Speaker choice is very uninspired, disappointing,” Nov. 19): Insulting and embarrassing, are you kidding me?

He is one of the best-selling authors of today, not to mention at one time a renowned lawyer. And he has had an impact both locally and globally. At least 20 of his books were not only best-sellers locally, but also internationally.

Grisham has 235 million copies of his books circulating worldwide, translated into 29 languages. As far as charitable causes are concerned, you were wrong yet again. Just one of the many causes he is committed to is the Rebuild the Coast Fund. His charity raised $8.8 million for Gulf Coast relief for hurricane Katrina victims. Still not inspiring enough for you?

Grisham has proven himself to be giving, gifted and dedicated. Each time someone opens up one if his novels they read about a story that has inspired him; is that not in itself inspiring?

Think of all the aspiring writers and attorneys here at our school and the drive and determination he inspires in them. Don’t look at him as just a writer, but as someone who set out to achieve his dreams and did; an example for all of us to follow.

Jessica Mattison
Senior
English