No direction home: Building affordable housing for UNC faculty and staff should be a priority for the University

Faculty and staff members deserve an affordable place of their own near UNC’s campus.

An ongoing housing study has identified four locations that the University could build or revamp into houses within the next few years: Odum Village, University Square, Carolina Commons and Carolina North.

The University is considering offering housing options to faculty and staff at Carolina Commons, Carolina North and University Square.

University officials need to follow through with at least one.

It’s not a secret that property taxes in Chapel Hill are high.

With few major sources of sales tax revenue in the immediate area, the town has no choice but to increase its revenue base through high property taxes.

While politicians debate how to solve the problem, some faculty and staff members are stuck with the short end of the stick.

They can’t live near where they work.

That’s why the University should follow through with its considerations and dedicate at least one of its possible projects to affordable housing for faculty and staff.

The housing itself could come in many forms.

Carolina Commons, for example, might be used for low-density housing to create a suburban feel.

Meanwhile, if the University chose to set aside some of Granville Towers’ or Carolina North’s housing for affordable staff or faculty homes, it could offer high-density apartment-style residences to interested employees.

Surveys will soon be underway for staff and faculty opinions on the matter, which is a great first step.

Assuming there is a large interest in affordable near-campus housing, the University needs to follow through.

Having that kind of living space is a great incentive, especially for young employees looking for a new home.

If the University wants to remain competitive in its search for good faculty and staff, affordable housing in the area is essential.