Nude models pose for art students

A student draws during a life drawing class in the Hanes Art Center.

Sitting in a room watching a naked person for several hours is usually considered reprehensible, but for more some art students it’s integral to their grade.

In life drawing classes at UNC and in the community, nude models pose while students surround them with easels, drawing their figures.

“It’s interesting to see someone make art out of something normal, like a naked body,” said Eloise Stancioff, a senior who nude models for the Carrboro ArtsCenter.

“The way they draw you is usually not how you see yourself, so it’s interesting to see someone else’s perspective.”

She said students never seem nervous to draw her.

“I don’t think it’s a big deal. Everyone’s naked at some point in their life,” Stancioff said.

Dennis Zaborowski, who has taught Life Drawing at UNC for 41 years, said students today are much more comfortable with a nude model than they were 30 years ago, when the room was so silent that he could hear a pin drop.

The current model for the class, Keith, who asked to only give his first name, has been modeling part-time for 10 years. Pay varies, and models usually make $30 for a two-hour session at the ArtsCenter.

“You get better at it with time. But it can be hard,” he said in reference to retaining a pose when his hands and feet start falling asleep.

The ArtsCenter offers a range of life drawing classes that are open to the public. Artists can take the class with or without an instructor for four or six sessions.

The UNC art department also offers a similar class, Art 214 Life Drawing. The class is constantly over-enrolled, and students pursuing an art major are given priority registration for the class.

Art 314, Life Drawing II, is a more advanced course. Both classes are held in the same room at the same time but have different assignments.

Though all the students are viewing the same model, they can have very different interpretations.

Annie Clontz, a senior double major in art and Asian studies, depicts all the models as cartoons.

Zaborowski said he prefers novice artists to draw from still life, instead of photographs, so live models are essential.

He said models come in all different races, body types and ages.

“There is no such thing as a model not worth drawing; everyone is interesting,” Zaborowski said.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.