Harrison Barnes

Thumbs Up

Harrison Barnes, the top basketball recruit of the 2014 class, has committed to play for the Tar Heels. Now let’s just hope he doesn’t become the top NBA prospect a year later and commit to leave school. 

Unfriend

Thumbs Up

The New Oxford American Dictionary selected “unfriend” as its 2009 word of the year. After you “sext” your bf with this news (and what you’ll do later), he can tweet it from his “netbook” before he goes to the “teabagger” rally.

John Grisham

Thumbs Up

Call it: “The Commencement.” A hot-shot attorney turned crusader for justice with the pen delivers a rousing closing argument to young idealists — and he does it all pro bono.

Going Rogue

Thumbs Down

Hot off the presses, it’s the memoir of everybody’s favorite ex-governor, budding public “intellectual” and spokesperson for “real” America. The book’s title must be a nod to Palin’s treatment of the facts.

Meteor Shower

Sideways Thumb

Professors found out — surprisingly, we’d guess — how many of their students were big science buffs when they “had to” miss class because they had “watched the meteors.”

Wizard of Oz

Thumbs Down

The Varsity Theater will reopen its doors with a screening of the classic movie “The Wizard of Oz.” We’re happy the theater is back, but about that movie choice: We can watch it eight times a day for free on TBS.