Tar Heels hope to repeat history, steal upset win over Miami again

Predictions for UNC v. Miami
Predictions for UNC v. Miami

The history between Miami and North Carolina runs deep, thanks to Butch Davis’ coaching resume.

And for UNC, it also appears to run like clockwork. North Carolina holds a 3-0 record when hosting the Hurricanes that stretches back to 1963.

Last season, UNC stole a memorable 28-24 win that was decided when Trimane Goddard intercepted a pass in the end zone on the game’s final play.

In 2004, North Carolina upset the No. 4-ranked Hurricanes on a 42-yard field goal that sealed a 31-28 victory.

UNC will look to continue its unbeaten streak against Miami, who dominated Virginia in a 52-17 rout last week.

With the win, the Hurricanes leapt up four spots in the AP Poll to No. 12.

But history is not all that is at stake.

With only three games remaining, the Tar Heels still need to record another win to secure bowl eligibility.

The team’s final opponent at home will boast the conference’s third-ranked scoring offense, a unit anchored by quarterback Jacory Harris.

North Carolina’s scoring offense ranks second to last in the ACC, but UNC will look to benefit from the nation’s fifth-ranked total defense and No. 11 scoring defense, which is giving up 15.3 points per game.

The defense will turn its focus to containing Harris, who tops the ACC in pass efficiency but has also thrown more interceptions than any other conference quarterback.

In Miami’s win against UVa., he totaled 232 yards on 18-for-31 passing.

He also utilized a versatile offense that showcased touchdowns by six different scorers — the second time that has happened this season.

Running backs Graig Cooper and Damien Berry displayed their effective dual ground attack against the Cavaliers. Cooper ran for a career-high 152, which included a 70-yard burst.

UNC’s ground attack will be without leading rusher Shaun Draughn, who is out for the season with a fractured left shoulder. But Ryan Houston proved to be a capable replacement in UNC’s win against Duke.

If history serves as any indication, the final home game for the Tar Heels could be ripe for a staple of previous matchups — an upset.

TV coverage will be on ABC. Radio coverage will be provided by WCHL 1360 AM and WRDU 106.1.