UNC does not allow a third down conversion

Deunta Williams hauled in three interceptions against Boston College. DTH/Andrew Johnson

CHESTNUT HILL, MASS. — By halftime, seagulls were circling Alumni Stadium like vultures. It made sense considering what North Carolina’s defense was doing to Boston College.

More than the interceptions, more than the defensive touchdowns, the Tar Heels destroyed a Boston College offense by not allowing a single third-down conversion in 13 chances.

In those chances, the Eagles threw seven incomplete passes, rushed twice for a total loss of two yards, and turned the ball over three times. BC’s one completion was for 14 yards on a third-and-19.

“We knew coming in that we had to emphasize third downs,” senior defensive end E.J. Wilson said. “They gave us a couple of turnovers, and we capitalized on those opportunities. I think third down might have been a bigger story than the turnovers really were. It’s a story that a lot of people don’t see and not a lot of people appreciate.”

UNC coach Butch Davis certainly saw it on the stat sheet. For two seasons, he has emphasized putting opposing offenses in third-and-long situations, where one down needs to go for at least seven yards. He saw plenty of those Saturday.

“The defense was outstanding throughout the whole ball game on third downs,” Davis said.

“I think at one point they were 0-for-9, 0-for-10, 0-for-11 on third down opportunities. And if you can get them off, it certainly gives your team a chance.”

And while UNC’s defense did carry the day, North Carolina’s offense surprised with effectiveness in the same scenarios.

In 17 third downs, North Carolina’s offense converted eight times. In the second half, the Tar Heels converted five of 10 third downs.

And while nobody could say that the Tar Heel offense was particularly effective, UNC did manage to hold onto the ball for 21:08 of play in the second half, allowing only 8:52 of possession to a Boston College team trying desperately to come back.

In the fourth quarter, UNC had drives of 3:17 and 4:09 — both involving key third-and-long conversions.

First, with UNC facing a third and 10 and a three-and-out drive, quarterback T.J. Yates threw a strike to a slashing Erik Highsmith for 12 yards and the first down.

On the next Tar Heel possession, Yates found tight end Zack Pianalto just beyond the first-down marker for a six-yard gain.

Not only did the third down conversions keep Boston College from scoring, they also kept North Carolina’s defense fresh — a fact  that the Tar Heel defenders were quick to point out.

“It’s great when the offense has our back like that,” Wilson said. “They might have been stopped on first and second, but it shows they still have the resiliency and the drive to convert on third and long.”

Between Boston College’s ineffectiveness on third down and North Carolina’s ability to get just what it needed, the Eagles’ comeback bids fell flat for the rest of the game.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.