Update on controversy

DTH’s race relations columnist asked to resign

Recently there has been some controversy involving a Daily Tar Heel columnist.

Last week, The Carolina Review released Facebook photos that showed several people, including columnist Domenic R.A. Powell, painting a room with the floor covered in dozens of its issues.

The date of the photos coincides with the disappearance of a sizable number of issues of the conservative magazine.

Bryan Weynand, editor of The Carolina Review, told the DTH that as many as 400 issues went missing at a cost of $100 to $200.

In light of these revelations, Powell will no longer write a column for the DTH.

While no guilt has been admitted, the photos clearly show that Powell is involved in this controversy.

It’s unfortunate to lose such an excellent writer, but continuing to run his column on race relations would be antithetical to the values of the DTH.

The DTH has consistently elucidated our commitment to free press and free speech.

The editorial board regularly defends UNC’s controversial Youth for Western Civilization for their right to speak on campus.

And the DTH itself is a frequent target of theft and vandalism.

In 2006, members of Sigma Chi fraternity stole 10,000 copies of our newspaper to avoid negative coverage.

Just this year, many of our papers were blanketed with a “Special Anti-Racist Issue.” And in September, several members of the women’s swimming team stole a number of issues.

While we do not always agree with The Carolina Review’s opinions, we stand with them in opposing censorship in all its forms.