Wrestling team forced to work through adversity

The North Carolina wrestling team came into Sunday’s ACC Challenge missing three starters.

Still, the Tar Heels managed to win dual meets against Gardner-Webb and No. 16 American University, and just barely missed a clean sweep against Bucknell in the finale.

“I’m extremely pleased with the way my guys wrestled,” coach C.D. Mock said.

The Tar Heels suffered injuries to Nick Shields and Nick Stabile at the Hokie Open on Nov. 8. Shields broke his jaw in two places and is likely out for the season while Stabile tore a ligament in his thumb and will return in two weeks.

“Although the guys wrestled exceedingly well, we got physically hammered,” Mock said.

In the wounded’s absence, the Tar Heels were led by returning NCAA qualifiers Thomas Scotton and Dennis Drury, who won three matches each at 157 and 197 pounds, respectively.

“I think I’m at a good place at this early in the season,” Drury said. “I think I wrestled well.”

Redshirt sophomores Kyle Kiss and Nick Tenpenny also turned in strong performances.

Kiss went 1-1 on the day, defeating American’s Tanner Shaffer and dropping a close decision to No. 6 Andy Rendos of Bucknell at 165. Tenpenny pulled off the upset of the day, scoring a major decision — a win by eight or more points — against Bucknell’s David Thompson in the 184-pound weight class.

“Those two guys came out as freshmen, and we threw them to the wolves, and they took some licks as freshmen,” Mock said.

“We feel like they have improved dramatically since last year.”

Fellow sophomore Thomas Ferguson was similarly impressive, winning two matches in two different weight classes.

Normally a 157-pounder, Ferguson, who won at 165 and 174 on Sunday, has been putting on weight in order to find a spot in the lineup.

“I told him if I find him anywhere on campus and he doesn’t have food in his hands, I’m gonna kick him,” Mock said.

“What we want to do is get him as big as we possibly can, because as a 65- or 70-pounder he can be Fergalicious.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.