Wednesday June 29th

Yates not the only one to blame for football woes

We disagree with the popular notion that quarterback T.J. Yates deserves the brunt of the criticism of our offensive football team.

While Yates is certainly not going to win the Heisman trophy, he is currently our best option at QB. If he were not, Coach Davis would play someone else.

It’s important to keep in mind that our receivers this year are very inexperienced, with the exception of Greg Little, who is having his best year yet. Several of Yates’ incompletions have been the result of receivers cutting their routes short.

Yates is also playing behind an inexperienced offensive line because of a rash of injuries. Other veteran offensive linemen unexpectedly departed from the team prior to fall practice. These problems along the offensive line hurt the offensive’s ability to pass protect and rush the ball.

Also partly to blame is the sometimes questionable play-calling by offensive coordinator John Shoop. Why does he continually call plays that roll out a right-handed QB to the left, forcing him to throw across his body?

Sure, Yates deserves some of the blame. But he does not deserve the brunt of the blame; there is plenty to go around.

David White
Junior
Political Science and Exercise & Sport Science

Jason Sutton
Junior
Political Science

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022