Chapel Hill man in fair condition after hit-and-run

Driver arrested on several charges

A 65-year-old Chapel Hill man was hit by a car at about 11:40 p.m. Wednesday.

Earl Geer, 65, of 202 Carver Street, was walking somewhere near the area of McDonald's on West Franklin Street when he attempted to cross the street and was struck by Cole Andrew Buchman, 40, of 122 Mallard Court, who was traveling east, said Chapel Hill police Lt. Kevin Gunter.

Geer was taken to UNC Hospitals and was in fair condition as of 4:30 p.m. Thursday, said Stephanie Crayton, UNC Hospitals spokeswoman.

"I'm not sure whether it was a glancing blow or what exactly," Gunter said.

Buchman did not stop and continued driving, Gunter said. Whitney Kenerly, a former Daily Tar Heel editorial board member who called 911 to report the incident, said Buchman was driving erratically and recklessly.

Buchman did not initially stop for police, Gunter said. Officers blocked the road with their squadron cars in order to arrest him at Meadowmont community off of N.C. 54.

Buchman refused to submit to a breathalyzer test, so police transported him to UNC Hospitals to have blood drawn for an alcohol test, Gunter said. He said drugs or alcohol are suspected to be involved in the incident.

Buchman was charged with felony hit and run, driving while impaired, fleeing to elude arrest, failure to stop after an accident and driving with a revoked license, Gunter said.

He was taken to Orange County jail in lieu of $1,100 secured bond.

Check dailytarheel.com for more updates.