UNC raises HIV/AIDS awareness to celebrate World AIDS Day

Between the Pit-sit, free walk-in HIV testing and a symposium featuring eight HIV/AIDS researchers, campus groups offered a wide range of activities throughout the week to celebrate the 21st annual World AIDS Day on Tuesday.

“Our goal is to coordinate a collaborative effort between separate organizations,” said Kate Barker, co-chairwoman of UNC’s World AIDS Day planning committee.

Junior Amber Clifford, a volunteer on the World AIDS Day planning committee, said she hopes the week’s events will educate students about the disease.

“We’re focused on campus awareness,” she said. “We want to honor World AIDS Day by spreading knowledge about this illness.”

Since Monday, campus organizations such as the Carolina Union Activities Board, the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Straight Alliance and the Student Global Health Committee have sponsored events ranging from a cappella concerts to the Condom Olympics.

The events will continue through Saturday, when the Minority Association of Pre-Health Students will host a 5K to raise awareness of HIV/AIDS in the community.

On Friday, GlobeMed’s second annual “Turn It Red!” event will take place at 5 p.m. in front of Wilson Library. For $3, participants can purchase a red glowstick and join in forming a large AIDS ribbon, which will be aerially photographed.

Participants will enjoy concerts by the Clef Hangers and Loreleis, along with food catered by Alpine Bagel. Glowsticks can be purchased beforehand on Friday in the Pit from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

GlobeMed hopes to raise $1,000 to support Health Alert-Uganda, a nonprofit organization supporting pediatric HIV/AIDS treatment and prevention.

The event will be followed with an after-party at Vespa on Franklin Street at 9 p.m.

Students interested in participating in the Turn It Red! event can find more information on the event’s Facebook page.