Williams questions defense as Tar Heels win

Dexter Strickland nets career-highs

Rutgers' Michael Rosario could do nothing else. 

As Dexter Strickland streaked past him, Rosario recognized he couldn't catch North Carolina's speedy freshman. So he latched on to the back of Strickland's No. 10 jersey and hung on.

Rosario accepted the intentional foul, and 13 minutes later had to accept defeat to the Tar Heels Monday night at the Smith Center, 81-67.

Strickland's steal and speed were a testament to his abundant athletic gifts. Even more evidence is provided in Strickland's career-high 18 points Monday night.

But UNC's talent, while enough to trump an undermined Rutgers team, is not enough to build a season around, and North Carolina players and coaches voiced their concerns after the sloppy, back-and-forth game.

"We're only winning on talent right now," senior forward Deon Thompson said. "In two games (when UNC starts ACC play) that's not going to work."

UNC coach Roy Williams was quick to point out the games final minutes. At first glance, Strickland's three from the corner was the shot that sealed the game. With the Tar Heels holding a tenuous 71-67 lead and just two mintutes remaining in the game, Strickland took a pass in the corner, hesitated for a second, and then fired. He connected on the shot with a hand in his face to give UNC the necessary cushion.

But Williams shook his head in frustration when talking about the shot after the game, saying that Strickland's shot was not a good one.

"Talent took over above coaching and experience," Williams said. "Guys, I am so ticked off it is unbelievable."

Williams said that twice, his team missed defensive assignments — a gaffe he calls inexcusable this late into the season.

"I'm really not happy with any of the dumb things that happened in this game," Williams said.

And players had to agree.

"I see them do these things — rotate, guard," Thompson said. "But when these lights come on … they get a little shaky." 

Point guard Larry Drew said that the problem isn't limited to UNC's highly touted (and much critiqued by Williams) freshman class.

"It's not even the young guys," Drew said. "Everybody missed assignments, myself included." Drew added that UNC needed to talk and communicate better on defense.

But Williams' frustrations aside, the Tar Heels did pull off the win and registered six scorers in double figures.  Strickland, for all his mishaps, did have yet another game where he showed his immense gifts. He also registered a career-high four assists, and his highlight reel from the game was impressive. It's the lowlight reel that Williams keeps harping on.

For Monday night at least, the prolific talent of Williams' team kept it from falling — despite Rosario (22 points to lead all scorers) and Rutgers' best efforts. The Scarlet Knights closed to within four points in the final two minutes before UNC closed the game with a 12-0 run.

UNC, like it has done to so many smaller teams, pounded the ball inside. The Tar Heels racked up 24 points from the foul line to Rutgers' four,  and Ed Davis tied his career high with 15 rebounds — seven of them offensive. At one point, UNC went with a bizarre lineup that featured Strickland, Davis,  Thompson, David Wear, and Tyler Zeller. 

William also conceded that his team hampered outside shooting. Rutgers went only 3-for-23 from beyond the arc, and Rosario only recorded nine points in the second half, compared to 13 in the first. The Tar Heels also have plenty of time to practice, as they have only two games between now and Jan. 10's ACC opener against Virginia Tech.

"I'm looking forward to it," Williams said of the extra practices with his team. "They're not."

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.