Carolina Inn seeks new general manager

The Carolina Inn is searching for a new general manager after its long-time manager, Creston Woods, departed on Jan. 12.

Woods, who oversaw the hotel’s operations for 13 years, said his parting ways with the Carolina Inn was a mutual decision.

“It was an amicable separation,” he said. “I’ve been here for a long time, and I’m ready for the next challenge.”

Woods said he is looking toward working in another hotel management position, potentially one that would involve overseeing more than one hotel. He said he thinks the change was beneficial both for himself and the Carolina Inn.

Joe Crimmins, who has worked in various management positions throughout the country and has his permanent residence in Morristown, N.J., is working as interim manager while the Carolina Inn looks for a permanent replacement.

Crimmins was appointed by Destination Hotels and Resorts, a private company that manages the Carolina Inn.

He said he was part of the initial transition team in 2008, when the company began managing the Carolina Inn.

Carolyn Elfland, associate vice chancellor for campus services, said she did not know why the Carolina Inn’s former manager was replaced. She declined to comment on the decision.

Woods said he developed good relationships with alumni while working at the Carolina Inn.

“The Inn is an integral part of the University,” said Woods, a graduate of Miami University of Ohio. “I love Chapel Hill and UNC. It’s my adopted University.”

Douglas Dibbert, director of the General Alumni Association, said he does not think most alumni are aware of the change as of now.

“I haven’t heard anything about it yet,” he said. “There may be alumni that are displeased.”

Elfland said the University had nothing to do with the decision to hire a new manager because personnel decisions are overseen by Destination Hotels and Resorts.

Crimmins, who will continue to oversee the Carolina Inn from a corporate level once a permanent general manager is found, said he is glad he had the chance to get to know its employees personally. He said the company is looking for a general manager who is passionate about the Carolina Inn.

“It’s built on great traditions,” he said. “We want to get a person who shares our vision and excitement.”

Destination is currently sorting through the resumes of applicants for the position of General Manager.

Crimmins said the company does not plan to make major changes to the Carolina Inn. “We don’t want to mess with success, he said.”