Collins aims to end RHA tenure as its president

Ryan Collins has worked in the Residence Hall Association for three years and now seeks its top spot.

Only one candidate this year is truly going to hit home with most students.

Ryan Collins, a junior political science and economics major, is running unopposed for president of the Residence Hall Association, which could impact all 16 on-campus residential communities.

For the past few years, there has only been one candidate for the position of RHA president, and most often these candidates have extensive experience with the organization.

Collins has been in the RHA since his freshman year and said he is excited to continue working with it.

“The organization has undergone a massive overhaul to improve its strength this year, and I’d really like to see that through,” Collins said.

If elected president, Collins will work closely with other students — such as resident advisers, members of community government and residence hall governors — to represent students to administrators and provide social, educational and service-oriented programs for residents.

The RHA president also appoints and directs other executive officers in the RHA and presides over meetings of the Board of Governors, among other duties.

Chris Carter, a junior and longtime friend of Collins, said the candidate really cares about campus residents.

“Living here for four years exemplifies the fact that he loves living on campus,” Carter said. “When I visit him in Morrison, all the residents are saying hello to him and he knows all of their names.”

Collins has served on the community governments for Hinton James and Morrison residence halls. This year he is the governor for Morrison community, responsible for organizing programs and working with RAs.

His work in Morrison this year included raising money for Dance Marathon and helping organize an information session about Tourette’s syndrome.

Collins said he wants to improve resident life by being more representative of students.

“I’d like to be a stronger voice for them by speaking with student government and other influential people on campus to make sure their voices are heard,” Collins said.

He said he also wants to encourage residents to use the RHA enhancement system, which allows students to rent movies, games, sports equipment and other items from their residence hall.

Collins said he has a strong drive to get his goals accomplished but needs input from other students.

“I’m very passionate about this organization, and I admire what it does in trying to make residential life more comfortable,” he said. “We really hope people will get more enthusiastic next year and give us ideas on how to improve.”