‘Darius’ tour met no rival to UNC's support

Michael Jordan, Eve Carson and Darius Weems. It was in that order that I gradually came to know and love all things Carolina blue. You can trust me because I know better than to say light blue or sky blue. It’s Carolina blue.

While I wasn’t even born when Michael and Dean snagged a ring in 1982, I worshiped “His Airness.” (I can even tell you his childhood nickname, “Rabbit”).

When I was 10 years old, “Rabbit” teed off in a celebrity golf tournament just outside my hometown of Athens, Ga.

Clearly, I had no choice but to sneak under some bleachers and into No. 23’s bunker in search of an autograph. I asked, and he said, “Not now, kid.”

So, due to an icy M.J., I retired my UNC jersey and the school remained darkened in my memory, until my high school friend, Eve, redeemed it. She brought color to my perception of UNC the same way she brought color to everything and everyone in her life.

Home for the summer, she gesticulated a mile a minute. National championship! Pepper’s Pizza! My first B! And check out this a cappella group! Influenced by “Her Exclamationess,” I took a page from M.J.’s book and un-retired my jersey.

A few weeks later, with the Clef Hangers’ music in the background, 10 friends and I followed our leader, Darius Weems, across the country on a mission to persuade MTV to “pimp” Darius’ wheelchair.

The ultimate goal: to raise awareness for Darius’ disease — Duchenne muscular dystrophy — the No.1 genetic killer of children in the world. Footage from the trip became the documentary “Darius Goes West.”

Almost exactly one year ago today, UNC hosted an unforgettable screening of “Darius Goes West.” With Darius “Big Daddy” Weems in attendance, the crowd was at capacity.

The screening was jubilant, poignant and we ended up “Top-O’ing” the evening off with more than $14,000 raised for DMD research.

That screening was my first time encountering the Carolina spirit.

Our crew traveled more than 50,000 miles last year. Not a single city or school we visited rivaled UNC’s hospitality, UNC’s compassion or UNC’s aptitude in meshing good cause with good fun for the sake of greatness.

One moment encapsulates our experience at UNC. From the stage at the screening, the “Darius Goes West” crew yelled “Tar” and a packed house roared back “Heels.”

Today, one year after our incredible evening together, we ask you to respond again.

“Darius Goes West” is a finalist in the Chase Community Giving Challenge — a free vote on Facebook.

For every free vote cast, $1 will be donated to DMD research. Adding extra importance to the votes tallied is the fact that we have a matching grant from a family of a child with DMD.

We’re currently in 11th place. The first place finisher will win $1 million.

UNC has a tenacious ability to respond to others in need — that is why your community is so beloved by us and so many others.

Logan Smalley is the director of “Darius Goes West.” Contact Logan at logansmalley1@gmail.com