Friday, June 21, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

1:40 p.m. Jan. 27: Due to a reporting error, an earlier version of this interactive program included an incorrect platform for student body president candidate Nash Keune. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

The candidates platforms range from relatively-short to very long. We've helped break it down by picking out the most frequently used nouns, the reading level (as determined by Google's text analytics), the length and the platform point the candidates identified as the one they are most excited about.

You can also use the visualizations to dive into the platforms yourself. Made using Many Eyes is a free program that allows you to visualize sets of data, you can explore what each candidate said.

Monique Hardin

• 3,177 words
  • 11th-grade reading level*
  • Most common nouns: “Monique, student, work”
  • Platform point she’s most excited about: “Monique plans to host office hours in the Pit to allow easier access for students to members of the executive branch. By hosting hours in a high-traffic location, students will be able to easily access student government members to discuss issues that are important to them.”

Nash Keune

• 2,684 words
  • 12th-grade reading level*
  • Most common nouns: “student, UNC, campus”
  • Platform point he’s most excited about: “We believe that the name ‘Chapel Hill’ carries too much of a normative connotation of Christianity. We will correct this by advocating to the city government that the name be changed to ‘Unaffiliated House of Worship and Secular Community Temple Mosque Center Hill.’”

Joe Levin-Manning

•  6,766 words
  • 12th-grade reading level*
  • Most common nouns: “student, president, body”
  • Platform point he’s most excited about: “As student body president, I understand the difficulties in being heard with over 700+ organizations at UNC, and I want to make sure that all of our great events are recognized. As student body president, I will work to create more avenues of publicity for student organizations and their events.”

Hogan Medlin

•  21,330 words
  • Ninth-grade reading level*
  • Most common nouns: “Hogan, student, Carolina”
  • Platform point he’s most excited about: “My goals is this: work with departments on campus to begin discussing ways we can tailor their services to become more personalized for UNC students. That way, when the student population increases, departments will hopefully have a much more efficient, one-on-one system in place that can maintain the ‘small liberal arts college’ feel UNC can tend to provide.” 

Shruti Shah

•   8,416 words
  • 8th-grade reading level*
  • Most common nouns: “student, committee, work”
  • Platform point she’s most excited about: “The student life team will be a group of liaisons that serve as a direct link between student government and many different student organizations on campus (Greek organizations, RHA, religious groups, cultural groups, etc..) It’s my hope that this will be a concrete way to support the many diverse student organizations that do so much for our University!”

Gregory Strompolos

• 1,365 words
  • 8th-grade reading level*
  • Most common nouns: “Greg, UNC, Google”
  • Platform point he’s most excited about: “The Technological Revolution. Every tuition-paying UNC student deserves the most state-of-the-art Internet applications because this is a state-of-the-art university. The main goal of this plan is to bring Google Applications to campus.”
The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide