Greg Margolis is 100 percent correct with his views on the student ticket policy for Carolina men’s basketball games, “Put ticket policy in hot seat,” (Jan. 20).

It’s nice to know that others feel the way that my friends and I feel.

Let’s face facts here: Our basketball atmosphere at the Dean Dome is just awful.

None of our students can get anywhere close to the floor, and thus cannot be heard and have no incentive for being loud.

Be honest with yourself, what do you do if you get a Phase 5 ticket? Unless it’s a Duke game, odds are you’re not going to go.

You can scream as loud as you want from up there and no one is going to hear you, so why not stay in your dorm and watch the game on ESPN (and have a much better view of the action)?

Watch the next Carolina home game on television.

What do you see when the camera pans the crowd? That’s right, elderly alumni sitting with their young grandchildren who don’t stand up or take part in cheers the student section tries to start.

Now watch a Duke home basketball game or even an N.C. State basketball home game. What do you see?

What’s that? Students actually sitting near the court, and not just behind the goal but along the sidelines as well?

Wow, what an amazing concept!

As it stands, our atmosphere at the Dean Dome is one of the worst in the country taking into account the capacity of our stadium and the number of undergraduates at Carolina. 

Zach Hamilton
Sophomore
Journalism