No bloody excuses: Blood shortages or not, donating is important

So you’re a cash-strapped college student who wants to help make the world a better place, but you don’t have the money to donate.

You would volunteer, but your schedule is hectic and you don’t have the time.

But you can make a difference by giving blood.

Local chapters of the American Red Cross announced earlier this month that hospitals in the Charlotte, Greensboro and Triangle regions had only one day’s supply of blood available.

Maybe it’s a fear of needles or a lack of motivation, but only 3 percent of Americans donate.

Donation centers have extended their operating hours to lure a few more donors in. The blood supply has increased somewhat in the last two weeks but is still critically low.

It is time for students to take action. Giving blood is easy. The whole process takes about 20 minutes.

For first timers, the process is very simple. After filling out a short form, a volunteer then asks you a couple of questions and gives you a mini-physical.

Finally a tube is attached to your arm, and you pump out about a pint of blood.

The blood shortage has not come from a lack of opportunities to donate. Chapel Hill is filled with fraternities, sororities, athletic teams and other student organizations that are constantly running blood drives.

And if there is not an on-campus blood drive, you can always visit to the local Red Cross chapter at 101 Ephesus Road.

So the next time you have a spare hour instead of watching YouTube videos or Facebook stalking, visit a blood drive or donation center.

Donate today because you never know when you will be the one in need.