Practice safer sur?ng: New Wi-Fi network will provide safer connection; students should embrace it after kinks are worked out

Information Technology Services is piloting a new, more secure wireless network — and students should give it a try.

UNC-Secure is a new Wi-Fi network that will eventually replace UNC-1. It was introduced this month and is a much safer network.

ITS hasn’t advertised the network because the department wants to ease students into it, get feedback and resolve any bugs over the next year.

The new system makes it more difficult for unauthorized users to access the network.

Both UNC-1 and UNC-Secure require an Onyen to get Internet access.

But anybody who figures out the wireless network password under the old system can access other computers on the network — leaving them vulnerable to hackers.

John Streck, the assistant vice chancellor for communications technologies, said the UNC-1 network’s protection is “about as secure as leaving your doors open.”

If someone gets access to the network, they could potentially hack into other computers connected to UNC-1.

UNC-Secure solves this. When accessing the network for the first time, ITS uses a Web-based application to grant access. An Onyen is required.

Only computers that have gone through that configuration have access to the network.

ITS tried to make the new system as simple, secure and cost-effective as possible.

They succeeded. Linking to UNC-Secure for the first time is markedly simple.

Wireless users go to https://xpressconnect.unc.edu. And then a Web application for Windows, Mac OSX, or iPhone and iPod Touch sets up the connection to UNC-Secure. Users only have to enter their Onyen and password.

ITS is still working on a way to connect BlNoackBerrys and Linux to the network.

Streck said UNC-Secure is still a pilot and that users should contact him — not the ITS Help Desk — with questions and comments.

But students who want to help ITS smooth out bugs and a safer Wi-Fi connection should connect to UNC-Secure now.

It’s simple and demonstrates the ITS staff’s commitment to cyber security at the University.