Prediction: UNC's odds against Clemson

1-13-MHoops-File.jpg
1-13-MHoops-File.jpg

Deon Thompson goes up for a rebound in North Carolina’s 94-70 blowout win at home last season against Clemson. Thompson scored 15 points in the win, which kept UNC perfect all-time in home games against the Tigers (54 games). Tonight’s game is on the road.

Backcourt

The Tigers’ high-pressure style of defense leads the league in steals. It won’t be easy for Larry Drew II at the point, but with Marcus Ginyard back, Clemson won’t get many of the outside looks it wants.         Edge: Even

Frontcourt

Clemson’s Trevor Booker was preseason All-ACC and is among the league leaders in rebounds, blocks and points. The same is true of Ed Davis, though, and Booker doesn’t have Deon Thompson. Edge: UNC

Bench

Though they play a fast style, the Tigers don’t play very deep. Even though Tyler Zeller’s in a rough patch — he had three points and four turnovers against VT — the Tar Heels have the bodies to make up for it.       Edge: UNC

Intangibles

UNC’s only win away from the Smith Center was all the way back in November. If the Charleston game was any indication, the Tar Heels will have their hands full on the road against a ranked squad.                 Edge: CU