Senior class officer platforms focus on fun, service

Three pairs vie to work for seniors

From James Bond movie nights to Sadie Hawkins dances, this year’s senior class president candidates have filled their platforms with ideas for social and service events.

Tyler Aiken / Justin Webb

Senior class officer candidates Tyler Aiken and Justin Webb designed their campaign around giving seniors the opportunity to have fun, give back to the community and prepare for the future.

The candidates suggest creating an online address book for the senior class that can be used to keep in contact with classmates.

They also want to implement James Bond movie nights — since the seniors graduated high school in “007” — and a self-guided tour showcasing historical and important sites around campus.

Aiken said he and Webb plan to increase turnout at senior events by focusing on greater promotion to make seniors aware of the events.

Aiken, the candidate for senior class president, is a member of Student Congress and the chairman for Pi Kappa Phi’s constitution and bylaws committee.

Senior class vice president candidate Webb is the risk management chairman for Pi Kappa Phi and a manager for the women’s basketball team.

Aiken and Webb said they are flexible and open to suggestions when it comes to their plans.

“This platform will never be set in stone, and will always reflect the opinions and thoughts of the seniors,” the platform states. “Our job is to make your senior year the best possible, and this can only be achieved with your interaction.”

Liz Deane / Justin Tyler

Like most upperclassmen, Liz Deane is nervous about life after college.

That’s one reason Deane said she and Justin Tyler are running for senior class officers — to help other rising seniors adjust to the real world.

Deane and Tyler have several ideas to help graduating seniors prepare for life after graduation, including a “roommate hook-up,” to allow seniors to find classmates moving to the same geographic area after graduation.

Deane said she and Tyler also want to create social nights that every senior can enjoy and encourage seniors to participate in direct service to the community.

Deane, who is running for senior class president, has served as a Rainbow soccer coach, volunteered at an adult alcohol and drug rehabilitation center and worked for two previous student body government campaigns.

Tyler, who is running for senior class vice president on the ticket with Deane, is a member of the Order of the Bell Tower and serves as a Dance Marathon moraler and chairman of media features for the Carolina Union Activities Board.

Deane said she sees running for senior class officer as a way to give back to the University.

“It would be an honor to serve this school,” she said. “It has given so much to the two of us.”

Sean Kiernan / Elizabeth Monier

Sean Kiernan and Elizabeth Monier have plenty of ideas for ways seniors can relax and have fun.

One event the candidates propose is a field day during which seniors form teams and compete in outdoor challenges, culminating in a water balloon fight.

Kiernan and Monier also want to hold a senior Sadie Hawkins dance — an informal dance in Fetzer Gym where the women invite the men.

“We want to make our senior year as fun and memorable as possible,” Monier said.

Other platform points include an “alumni assist,” giving seniors the opportunity to talk with UNC graduates about life after graduation, and “Seniors2Seniors,” a program in which UNC seniors would have the opportunity to volunteer with both high school seniors and senior citizens.

Senior class president candidate Kiernan is currently the co-president of UNC’s Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender-Straight Alliance and serves on the Student Union Board of Directors.

Senior class vice president candidate Monier founded and is a co-chairwoman for the World Micro Market organization. She is also an English language tutor in Carrboro.

Responsibilities of the senior class officers:

Planning social events and community service activities

Helping to select the senior class gift

Serving as contacts after graduation

Kiernan said he wants to encourage seniors to participate in social events and service to maximize the senior year experience.