Student art featured at senior class exhibit

Exhibit supports senior campaign

Lisa Garland, a senior sociology major, sets up her  display at the “We H(art) UNC” exhibition in Wilson Library. DTH/Daixi Xu
Lisa Garland, a senior sociology major, sets up her display at the “We H(art) UNC” exhibition in Wilson Library. DTH/Daixi Xu

Senior marshals invited their classmates into Wilson Library after hours on Thursday night for a look at UNC students’ art.

Gregory Halloran, a freshman, was one of several student artists included in the show, called “We H(art) UNC.”

Halloran said he was pleased that he could finally exhibit his work to a different crowd.

“I am excited to be a part of the UNC community, as opposed to downtown Raleigh where my friends can’t come, and the only people that see my work are 30-year-olds,” he said.

“We H(art) UNC” featured art from students around campus, regardless of their majors.

“Some of the participants aren’t even art majors, so it’s an opportunity for people who do it on the side to see what they can do and show their talent as an artist,” said Meggie Staffiera, senior class president.

She said students were excited for the chance to show off their pieces in Wilson Library during the one-night-only event.

“I think it was an opportunity that people wanted to take advantage of. People are really excited to get out and show what they can do,” Staffiera said.

Visual artists weren’t the only ones spotlighted at the exhibit. Harpist Caroline Scism and the Loreleis performed, serving as a soundtrack to the event.

Staffiera said they were excited to have Scism and the Loreleis perform because of their reputations as well-known, accomplished student musicians.

Scism even got the event a bit more publicity from friends who noticed her name on the event’s information.

“A lot of my friends were like, ‘Hey, we saw the events page on Facebook and saw your name as a performer,’” she said.

Organizers decided to hold the event in the library to promote the senior campaign, which supports UNC’s library system.

“We came up with this event to get the word out about seniors supporting the library system,” Staffiera said.

She called the event a chance to “learn about ways to give back to the campaign and ways to give back to Carolina.”

Organizers said they wanted to give students a chance to look inside Wilson, learn about their campaign and have a sophisticated location for a gallery.

Overall, the show was a good match for the impressive interior architecture of Wilson Library.

“I think that a lot of people do not get the opportunity to go and see Wilson,” Staffiera said. “It is a beautiful and important building, so I think it is cool for students to see a building they do not venture into very often.”

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.