Sunday September 25th

Student giving essential to funding the University

It is a privilege to attend the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and I think most students would agree with me. Four years of learning, laughing, studying, making friends and being a Tar Heel are more than most people’s experience. When you take a moment to think of all that Carolina means to you, it’s important to reflect on how you are able to have this amazing opportunity.

Many people think Carolina is wholly funded by state appropriations and tuition. However, what they don’t realize is that less than 40 percent of Carolina’s annual revenue is generated from state appropriations, tuition and fees.

It’s important to give as a student — and continue giving after graduation — to leave your mark as a proud Tar Heel. Think of all your experiences at Carolina and what your time here would be like without them and without the generous donations of others. Give thanks. Give back. Make this experience not just yours, but the experience of students years from now.

The senior class campaign encourages senior giving. All students can donate to any area that is meaningful to them — their major, a student organization, a program that is meaningful to them, the Chancellor’s Unrestricted Fund or the endorsed fund, the University Library Endowment. The senior class goal is 43 percent participation and to have a record-breaking year!

Remember what Carolina has done for you, and see what you can do for it!

Lindsey Rava
UNC ‘07
Director of Student Giving

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022