Sophie Grabinski and Sanaz Marand, seniors on the North Carolina women’s tennis team, lost in the doubles championship match Sunday at the Freeman Memorial Tennis Championships in Las Vegas.

The duo made a lengthy run, but ultimately fell in the doubles championship to Stanford’s Mallory Burdette and Stacey Tan, 8-6.

While Grabinski and  Marand lost in the finals, another Tar Heel tandem won the consolation doubles final. In that match, senior Katrina Tsang and sophomore Shinann Featherston knocked off an Oregon team, 8-2.

Tsang also lost in the singles final while Featherston won the singles consolation final.

UNC will take on Winthrop on Wednesday in its first dual match.

Wrestling loses a messy one

North Carolina traveled to Blacksburg, Va., on Saturday to wrestle No. 15 Virginia Tech and lost an ugly 25-16 match, dropping to 1-2 in the ACC.

“Both teams were really beat up,” UNC coach C.D. Mock said. “They have a bunch of problems, and we have a bunch of injuries.”

There were two forfeits in the match, which is almost unheard of in Division I wrestling.

Sophomore Thomas Ferguson recorded one of the forfeit victories while senior Dennis Drury and freshman Ziad Haddad both technical-faulted their opponents.

Haddad’s victory gave the Tar Heels a 16-13 lead in the match with three bouts left, but the Hokies took all three to win.

UNC’s Thomas Scotton, the No. 3 157-pound wrestler in the country, lost a close match to No. 5 Jesse Dong. The two finished tied, but because Dong had recorded nine more seconds of riding time, he was awarded the extra point.

“I told my staff before we went up there that I’m not going to be really upset if Thomas loses this match,” Mock said. “You always like to win, but you never go back and look at wins and losses the same.

“Thomas is going to go back now and review hours and hours of tape and figure out how to beat this guy.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.