Adele Ricciardi to serve as Carolina Union Activities Board president

Adele Ricciardi will oversee 18 committees and help guide the policy side of the Union.

After a weekend of interviews and deliberation, the Carolina Union Activities Board of Directors selected junior Adele Ricciardi to serve as CUAB president for the 2010-11 academic year.

CUAB uses about a third of the $39 student government fee to bring movies, entertainment and discussions of social issues to the campus community.

Ricciardi, who has been a member of CUAB since her freshman year, sat on the Union Board of Directors this year in addition to serving as chairwoman of the music committee.

CUAB Presidential Duties

The CUAB president serves as both counselor and adviser for CUAB and the head of the Union Board of Directors.

The president oversees the 18 committees that form CUAB and will help monitor fiscal and administrative policies for the Union.

She said she wants to create a stronger connection with students.

“I think we have such a great potential to impact with our programs,” she said. “I really encourage people who are curious to stop by and see why we’re so passionate about what we do.”

Current CUAB President Amanda Kao said Ricciardi’s extensive involvement in campus organizations and longtime commitment to CUAB made her the most qualified of the five applicants.

“She’s more than qualified to handle the position,” Kao said. “She’s a natural-born leader, and she has what it takes to help CUAB and the Union move forward.”

Kao said Ricciardi should strive to make students her first priority.

“She needs to really try to reach out to everyone and keep the student body’s best interests at heart,” she said.

The CUAB president is responsible for overseeing and advising CUAB’s 18 committees. The president also serves as the head of the Union Board of Directors, which focuses on the policy and fiscal sides of Union administration.

“I’m most looking forward to getting a diverse group of people to come up with creative ideas for the campus,” Ricciardi said.

Ricciardi added that the biggest difficulty she anticipates will be finalizing plans for the new restaurant in the bottom of the Union.

Last fall, administrators announced plans to replace the Union’s first-floor copy center with a fast food restaurant. The proposal received mixed responses from the student body, and Union officials have yet to decide on what type of restaurant will fill the space.

Lauren Sacks, assistant director for student learning and activities at the Union, has advised and worked with Ricciardi over the last year as she planned events for Homecoming. Sacks said she has full confidence in Ricciardi’s ability to serve as president.

“She’s open to new ideas, and she’s energetic and excited about the opportunity to put her plans into action,” Sacks said. “I think she’ll do really well.”