Bringing UNC’s instruments in for a tune-up

Maintenance key for music

MCT/Bob Eighmie, MCT/Judy Sloan Reich, MCT/Janet Hostetter, MCT/Tom Fox

The tuba has a dent. The drumhead rips open. The violin neck is severed from its body.

Even with attentive care from musicians, bad things happen to good instruments.

“I have seen a trumpet held together with duct tape and slides held on by pieces of string,” said Doug Crandell, a junior biochemistry major.

Broken instruments are a musician’s nightmare, but the injuries don’t have to be fatal.

Musicians can repair an instrument on their own or take it to a trained repairman.

Not all instruments are the same. String, brass and wind instruments each require different treatment. Here’s a look at some common problems and how to keep your instrument in top shape.

Brass

Brass instruments, which include trumpets and horns, create sound through different valves opening and closing as air passes through.

Because of their tough material, they can usually survive a few dents. If a valve is severely damaged, musicians must seek help.

Repair

Musicians need to seek help to fix damaged valves or dented instruments.

“It’s a little bit of a specialized industry,” said Jim Ketch, professor of music and director of jazz studies, said. “I wouldn’t hesitate to get in the car and drive to Greensboro and Fayetteville if there is a real high-level craftsman.”

Maintenance

As long as an instrument is not dented, Ketch said preventative maintenance can keep the instrument working.

“The best thing is to keep the instrument clean and well-maintained,” he said. “I wash my horn about once a month.”

Woodwinds

Woodwind instruments produce sound through musicians blowing over small openings or through reeds. This family includes flutes, clarinets and oboes.

Replacing springs and pads for any woodwind are jobs for highly trained professionals, said music professor Brooks de Wetter-Smith, who specializes in the flute. The labor is tedious and requires specified equipment.

Repair

Sometimes musicians will send their instruments back to the production company, but there are also locals who can repair the instrument.

Musicians can replace pads on their own, but it’s tedious. De Wetter-Smith said just to replace one pad will take him an hour, and his flute has 17 pads.

Maintenance

De Wetter-Smith said he does a low-grade overhaul twice a year by cleaning, oiling and adjusting his flute.

String instruments

String instruments are made out of wood and produce sound by vibrating strings. This family includes the violin, guitar and cello.

Strings can be easily replaced, but cracked wood needs to be fixed by a professional.

Repair

When strings break on the body of the string instrument, experienced players can easily replace them. Cello professor Brent Wissick said string instruments can crack because of the weather. A musician can take it to one of two shops near UNC for repair.

Besides repairing cracks, professionals are needed to replace the string on a violin bow. The bow is generally made from horse hairs that over time will wear out and break.

Maintenance

Protect the instrument from extreme temperatures and clean with a soft cloth.

Percussion

Percussion instruments produce sound when a musician either hits, shakes or scrapes the objects, which creates a vibration.

Percussion instruments, such as the xylophone and drum sets, are often larger and heavier than instruments in the other families. They are more durable but still require care from musicians.

Repair

Professor Lynn Glassock said percussion musicians do most repairs themselves.

Drummers replace the drum heads and purchase new sticks. Players also adjust the tension on their drums.

If needed, Glassock said he prefers to hire someone to come to him so that he does not have to cart the big, bulky instruments to a repair shop.

Maintenance

Musicians should not use mallets made out of plastic or metal and shouldn’t play with too much force.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.