Butch Davis called the recruiting class of 2010 a prototype for the future of his program at North Carolina.

“This is somewhat typical of what a recruiting class in future years would look like,” Davis said. “The first couple years you have to recruit on need. … In this particular class we signed someone at every position except quarterback.”

Given that statement, UNC’s class — ranked No. 25 by ESPN — once again reflects the type of team Davis wants to build: speed on defense and power on the offensive line.

View UNC football recruits in a larger map

The offensive line was a priority, especially given the injuries on UNC’s offensive line and the struggles with protection last season.

“One of the things we wanted to focus on was offensive line and defensive line … with a real emphasis on trying to continue to grow a football team that can dominate the line of scrimmage.”

James Hurst, a 6-foot-7 tackle from Plainfield, Ind., was rated the No. 10 player in the nation by Rivals.com and the No. 2 offensive tackle.

UNC also brought in Russell Bodine, the No. 8-rated center in the nation by Rivals.com, and T.J. Leifheit, another 6-foot-7 tackle.

Leifheit and Hurst were among five players who enrolled at UNC in January and will be eligible for spring practices.

Joining them is Brandon Willis, a defensive lineman from Duncan, S.C. Willis was rated the No. 6 defensive tackle in the nation by Rivals.com, but originally committed to Tennessee.

When Lane Kiffin left Tennessee for Southern California, Willis changed his decision.

Kiffin’s controversial departure left many sore feelings in Knoxville, but Willis said he had no animosity toward the former coach.

“I don’t blame Lane for what he did,” Willis said. “I don’t blame any of the coaches. It’s a business, and you have to make business decisions.”

Eight of the 21 signees hail from North Carolina and five are from Florida, including running back Giovanni Bernard.

Bernard provides extra talent and depth for UNC in the backfield, especially given the loss of Jamal Womble this year for to academic reasons.

There were also five signees listed as “athletes” in this year’s class, giving the speed and versatility that Davis loves.

“We wanted a continuation of speed,” Davis said. “That was an overriding thing.”

The defensive signees will also benefit from a year of tutelage under UNC’s senior class, many of whom could have gone pro after last season.

“It’s good having Marvin Austin around,” Willis said. “You get to learn from the top guys and be around them in their final year.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.