Carrboro Aldermen work to improve pedestrian walkways

The Carrboro Board of Aldermen is making strides to improve the town’s pedestrian walkways after two residents complained at its Tuesday meeting about the safety of downtown crosswalks.

The board unanimously decided Tuesday to look further into the problem after resident Tom Henry notified the board of several dangerous situations near North Greensboro Street.

Henry, who lives on Mulberry Street near North Greensboro Street, said his life has been put in danger.

“I have been in situations where I’ve lunged my body into the crosswalk while waving my arms, but cars will still drive through, attempting to beat me through the crosswalk,” Henry said.

Alderman Jacquie Gist said the town needs to increase its traffic law enforcement.

“I once almost got hit near the Century Center,” Gist said. “The board could ask for more attention on the subject.”

Board member Dan Coleman said Carrboro’s Transportation Advisory Board is using video cameras in a study to determine where pedestrian walkways need improvements.

Alderman Sammy Slade added that the advisory board has taken footage of the area near North Greensboro Street and will continue to work with the N.C. Department of Transportation to improve pedestrian safety.

Henry suggested the town work with the Department of Transportation and the Carrboro Police Department to improve areas that see a large number of pedestrian crossings.

Carrboro resident Virginia Guidry said she sees arguments between drivers and pedestrians near the North Greensboro Street and Shelton Street intersection.

“It’s an interesting contradiction that Carrboro promotes itself as pedestrian-friendly with all of these altercations,” she said.

The board did not offer a timetable for implementing the safety improvements.