Deficit won't affect N.C. research dollars, says U.S. Rep David Price

U.S. Rep. David Price said supporting research is  one of the  government’s top priorities.
U.S. Rep. David Price said supporting research is one of the government’s top priorities.

Federal funding for research projects will continue despite President Barack Obama’s efforts to reduce the federal budget deficit, Chapel Hill’s representative in Congress said Monday.

U.S. Rep. David Price, D-N.C., said during an informal presentation in Gerrard Hall that the president and Congress are committed to protecting research, which he said is one of North Carolina’s major competitive advantages.

“We are dealing with some real budget challenges,” Price said. “These things will receive at least moderate increases.”

Price said research, which has benefited greatly in the last year from federal stimulus funds, brings jobs and contributes to the state’s economic development.

Science and education programs were among the winners in Obama’s proposed 2011 budget, released Monday morning.

The $3.8 trillion budget included cuts for some programs but increased funding for the U.S. Department of Energy, the National Science Foundation and the National Institutes of Health.

A total of $61.6 billion is recommended for civilian research and development programs, an increase of $3.7 billion in that area, according to materials released by the White House.

Congress does not have to adopt the president’s budget, and Price said he hoped to change some things — such as reversing a funding decrease for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which has been involved in pandemic research related to H1N1 influenza.

But Price said he expects the president’s emphasis on science initiatives to remain.

“Since the president took over, he’s emphasized higher education and research, and I don’t think he’s done anything to change that,” Steven Leath, UNC system vice president for research, said in an interview.

“We actually are very optimistic about the future for research.”

Stimulus grants, the bulk of which goes to research-related activities, have provided more than $152 million for projects at UNC-system schools, according to data from UNC General Administration.

Every school but Western Carolina University reported receiving stimulus funding as of the end of December, and UNC-Chapel Hill reported receiving $94 million.

UNC-CH Chancellor Holden Thorp said while introducing Price Monday that the University has put forth about 850 stimulus proposals.

“I think the overall picture is one of UNC-Chapel Hill seeing its opportunities and seizing them,” Price said.

Leath said the UNC system has focused its research goals on projects that improve health, including cancer research and nutrition programs, environmental issues such as climate change and water quality, and factors that affect economic development, including green energy and nanotechnology.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.