Echoing the voices of all the Tar Heels

Hey Tar Heels! It’s now the fifth week of this year’s student body president election season and what a journey it has been.

Your vote in today’s election will help determine who will lead student government’s executive branch, so log on to Student Central now and cast your vote to have your voice heard!

Ever since my first year here at UNC, when I called E-haus my home, I have been inspired by the students of this University.

Whether it’s been a marathon for the N.C. Children’s Hospital, a vigil held in the Pit or the display of Carolina pride after a national championship, these collective experiences have shaped my perspective and love for UNC. As student body president, I hope to bring that commitment and passion into an administration that will better serve you in shaping your years as a UNC student.

When I originally set out to develop my platform, I listened to the thoughts, ideas and concerns students had about UNC from all areas of campus. My administration would continue this effort when addressing policy and implementing projects, constantly keeping student issues at our core focus. The holistic approach of the platform will help cabinet and the executive branch better represent you throughout the year.

If elected, I look forward to working with current Student Body President Jasmin Jones in the transition process, carrying over projects from her administration’s platform as well as gearing up to tackle my initial goals.

Reforming the tuition visibility/predictability process is among the first of those goals, as is strengthening the relationships with individual academic departments to begin the task of preserving the quality of a UNC education as the quantity of students increases in years to come. With a clear vision for carrying out the platform and continuing to listen to student input, I will ensure that your student government works in your best interest.

But the platform isn’t everything. There’s the other side of the office that often gets overlooked in the campaign process, and that’s the side that requires the role of the student body president to be committed to the students. The University thrives on the passion, open-mindedness, creativity and service capacity of its student body.

It’s what separates us from other universities and propels us forward in innovation. You see it everyday in the Pit, in science labs, on Hooker Fields and on Memorial Hall’s stage. With your vote, we can put student government on a path toward further linking students to the opportunities available on our campus!

When it comes down to it, your vote should be cast based on who you think is best for the position: someone who will best represent you, your ideas and concerns and who can connect to students in a way that makes student government visible, accessible and more supportive to you.

I am thrilled to have this opportunity to serve in such a capacity and believe that I possess the capabilities and passion to be your next student body president. Please visit www.unc.edu/hogan to learn more about my ideas and vote Hogan for SBP today!

Medlin is a junior political science major from Eden.