Medlin, Shah discuss policy in Roosevelt Institute forum

Candidates share ideas about SBP role

Hogan Medlin and Shruti Shah defended their platforms at a Roosevelt Institute forum Thursday. DTH/Sam Ward

Thursday night, Hogan Medlin and Shruti Shah faced off — five days early.

The Roosevelt Institute, a student-run public policy group, held a forum for the two student body president candidates to answer policy-related questions before they compete in a runoff election on Tuesday.

The candidates attempted to highlight their individual and often conflicting philosophies toward student government and the role of the student body president. Shah advocates for a smaller, more focused executive branch, while Medlin favors a more expansive role for the group.

The candidates answered a variety of questions, including some related to tuition, campus safety, health care, student government, out-of-state students, student fees and academic advising.

When asked what their first act in office would be, both candidates cited the transition process as an important item to address. Medlin then said he would work on restructuring the tuition process for next year, while Shah emphasized building relationships with student government and their collaborative counterparts.

The candidates were asked to describe, in one word, what their administrations would be like. Shah chose “supportive,” while Medlin chose “inclusive.”

While fewer than 15 people attended the forum, Roosevelt Institute President Sara John said she thought the forum allowed the candidates a chance to discuss their platforms and gave voters the opportunity to make a more informed decision.

“The votes shouldn’t be cast based on only former candidates’ endorsements,” John said. “It should be based upon their own interactions.”

Medlin won 44 percent of the vote in Tuesday’s election, compared to Shah’s 16 percent. Three of the four eliminated candidates — Nash Keune, Joe Levin-Manning and Greg Strompolos — have endorsed Shah.

When asked about policy-related questions, Medlin pointed to specific ideas in his 68-page platform that dealt with those issues. He said that throughout the campaign he has worked to highlight his all-inclusive plan.

Shah has focused on re-structuring the executive branch and using the improved efficiency to connect with existing resources on campus to address problems.

The candidates said this forum was different from the others they had attended because the questions were more specific and policy-oriented. At least 14 other forums were held before the general election.

“Compared to the general forums we have had, this was specific and easier to do,” Medlin said.

Shah also said she thought the forum was helpful.

“I think people need to hear how Hogan and I feel on certain issues and what we plan to do,” she said.

The candidates agreed that they hope students will take careful consideration when casting votes Tuesday.

“I think it’s good in the runoff situation when students can make up their own mind,” Medlin said.

The Roosevelt Institute did not endorse a candidate.