North Carolina knocks off N.C. State again

Tar Heels avoid ACC cellar

In front of what seemed like the entire history of the North Carolina basketball program, this year's Tar Heels did their part to complete a memorable weekend.

UNC took care of visiting N.C. State by a 74-61 score to avoid falling to last place in the ACC. The Tar Heels (14-11, 3-7 ACC) snapped a four-game losing streak and completed the season sweep of their in-state foes.

UNC has now won 19 of the last 20 against the Wolfpack.

With big men Ed Davis, Tyler Zeller and Travis Wear all sidelined by injuries, everyone else stepped up in a balanced effort. Point guard Larry Drew II scored seven in a row down the stretch and did not turn the ball over in the second half. He finished with 15 points and seven assists.

Deon Thompson and Dexter Strickland joined Drew in double figures with 12 and 11, respectively, and four other Tar Heels chipped in with at least seven.

UNC out-rebounded the Wolfpack 44-32, scored 10 points on the break to NCSU's zero and turned the ball over just three times in the second period.

"The lack of turnovers and the rebounding were the two keys for us," UNC coach Roy Williams said. "Larry having no turnovers in the second half was big to say the least."

N.C. State (14-12, 2-9 ACC) remains in last place in the conference.