Although a need exists for alternative commuter infrastructure, paving the Bolin Creek trail would take away much more than it would add to the outdoor community of Carrboro. As a UNC student who lived in Carrboro for two years without a car, I understand the push for adding paved bike paths or lanes to make commuting around town safer.

I ride my bike to class, across town to University Mall and to Homestead Aquatic Center on a regular basis. I agree that biking along Homestead Road and Estes Drive is not safe due to the narrow shoulders, and I fully support an alternative.

However, I cannot support an option that would take away the thing I love most about Carrboro, our only outdoor playground for adults.

I am not going to make environmental arguments, as I know both sides have evidence to support their positions. Rather, I will talk about the gem that we will lose if the Bolin Creek trail is paved.

The trails are a haven for outdoor enthusiasts. They are home to some of the best mountain biking in town. They provide a great trail run when my knees can’t take another long run on hard pavement. They are an enjoyable place to walk with friends or take your dog to play. There are other alternatives than paving along Bolin Creek to get more bike connections.

Bryce Haac
Graduate Student
School of Medicine