UNC women's tennis climbs to No. 1

Tough ACC slate awaits Tar Heels

The view from the top is thrilling. Gazing down from it is the North Carolina’s women’s tennis team, No. 1 in the nation.

The Tar Heels’ climb culminated Tuesday from No. 18 all the way to the top, a position UNC has never been in before.

Coach Brian Kalbas said he was pleased with the success of his team and proud of its work so far.

“We are embracing this opportunity and we are even more motivated,” Kalbas said.

The Campbell/ITA College tennis rankings track the top teams in collegiate tennis. The national rankings are determined based on average points per match.

The Intercollegiate Tennis Association ranks the top 75 teams and standings are published 17 times during the season.

After an extremely successful weekend at the National Team Indoor Championship Feb. 12-15, the Tar Heels were positioned to claim first place.

They dethroned then-No. 1 Duke in the tournament and lost to Northwestern in the finals.

Last week, UNC rose to No. 2 in the nation just under Northwestern, but last Sunday the Wildcats lost to Notre Dame.

Sanaz Marand, a senior and a leader on the team, said she was elated with their progress and attributed it to teamwork and spirit.

“We know that we can beat any team out there if we stay unified,” Marand said. “A lot of our success has come from supporting each other and keeping the energy up every match.”

Marand’s 11-2 singles record in dual match play is a testament to that claim.

As a senior, she continues to be a significant factor in the team’s accomplishments.

“I’m extremely proud of our success,” Marand said. “We have worked really hard to get here.”

Now the Tar Heels (12-1) must defend their lofty No. 1 ranking as they are the top target in the nation, Kalbas said.

The Tar Heels begin their ACC season next weekend against N.C. State.

They will have to defeat fourtop-15 teams in conference play to maintain their leadership position in the ACC.

“The ACC season is just beginning. Our conference is so strong,” Kalbas said.

Even though UNC is thrilled to be atop the rankings, getting there was only half the battle.

“We still have goals out there that we want to achieve,” Marand said. “We are going to have to work hard and compete harder.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.