UNC, Duke rivalry not vicious

DTH/ Lennon Dodson
DTH/ Lennon Dodson

UNC and Duke University fans don’t really hate each other, according to a Public Policy Polling press release distributed Monday.

In fact, they even respect each other’s coaches.

In Wednesday’s Duke vs. UNC matchup, 35 percent of North Carolinians are rooting for UNC. Twenty-one percent will be pulling for Duke. The other 44 percent polled said they don’t care who wins.

“I think the hatred is just played up because it gives you a reason to cheer louder at the basketball games,” said Brian Wielicki, a UNC junior communications major.

Only 20 percent of Duke fans said they would use the word “hate” in reference to their rivals. UNC fans were slightly more hospitable, with 17 percent willing to use “hate.”

“I feel like we love to hate each other because of mutual respect,” said Laura Hartley, a junior music major.

The poll implies that North Carolinians even seem to hold the coaches of the opposing schools in high regard.

Thirty-nine percent of residents view UNC basketball head coach Roy Williams favorably. Only 10 percent view him unfavorably.

Among Tar Heel fans, Williams has a 72 percent favorable and 3 percent unfavorable rating. Among Duke fans, 27 percent view him favorably while 24 percent view him unfavorably.

Duke basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski is viewed favorably by 44 percent of the state, with 13 percent viewing him unfavorably. Duke fans have the same appreciation of their coach as UNC fans — 72 percent view him favorably and 4 percent unfavorably.

Forty-six percent of UNC fans like Krzyzewski, versus 26 percent who view him negatively.

“I strongly dislike Duke,” said Caitlin Zoghby, a junior psychology major. “The people at Duke aren’t as nice as the people here.”

The survey of 678 people was conducted between Jan. 15 and Jan. 18.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.