UNC rebounds from lax start against Duke

Defense holds Duke to three goals

Logan Ripley led the defense in Sunday’s scrimmages, keeping Duke to only three goals.

DURHAM — During the first half of Sunday’s lacrosse scrimmage against Duke, North Carolina allowed two goals inside the first 13 minutes and conceded another seven minutes later.

But from then on, the Tar Heels’ back line was flawless, shutting out the Blue Devils the rest of the way en route to a 13-3 victory on Duke’s West Campus fields.

“I think we really stepped it up toward the end of the game,” junior defender Mia Hurrin said. “Our intensity went higher, and all around I think we did an excellent job.”

The game was a defense-optional affair early on, with a total of seven goals being scored in the first fifteen minutes alone.

While UNC was able to control the game through strong midfield and attack play, Duke seemed to be able to score at will when it was able to gain possession in the game’s opening minutes.

“Obviously, I’d like to see a sustained high level of urgency of play throughout a whole game,” coach Jenny Levy said.

“And that’s something that takes time. Once you get game fit, it’s easier to do.”

While the defense will certainly miss four-time All-American and 2009 National Defender of the Year Amber Falcone, this year’s starters gained valuable experience playing together last season.

“We trust each other,” Hurrin said. “We have each others’ backs.”

The defense was backed by a strong performance from returning National Goalkeeper of the Year Logan Ripley, who made several nice saves in the second half.

“We have a great goalie in Logan Ripley,” Levy said.

Sporting what Levy said is the most explosive offense in program history, this year’s team is expected to score goals in bunches.

It will be up to the defense, then, to determine whether this year’s squad will be able to match or better last year’s run to the national championship game, where North Carolina fell 21-7 to Northwestern.

“When the defense makes big plays and has big stops, that pumps us up,” junior attacker Corey Donohoe said.

“That makes us want to score to give them credit for what they did.”

And the defense’s effect on UNC’s high-powered offense isn’t just emotional — with the speed the team has in its veteran midfield, the Tar Heels’ transition game could be another weapon in the team’s arsenal.

“There’s nothing better than a transition that goes from the goalie to the defenders all the way,” senior attacker Kristen Taylor said.

For her part, Levy is excited to see her defense take another step forward and help complement her attackers.

“As a unit, they’re great,” Levy said. “They’re athletic, they communicate well, they’re skilled, so I’m excited about what our defense can do.”

The Tar Heel defense will get a chance to showcase itself when the team opens up regular-season play at home against Denver on Feb. 14.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.