"Vagina Monologue" performance comes together at the last minute

After learning that there would be no performance of “The Vagina Monologues” on campus this year, senior Katherine Wilkinson was upset and turned that force into action, starting a “renegade” production of the show.

“The Vagina Monologues” has been performed annually at UNC for more than a decade. Wilkinson, who directed the production in 2008, did not want that tradition to die.

She took initiative and e-mailed women who had been part of the show in the past or were interested in participating.

Of the 40 women she e-mailed last Thursday, more than half eagerly responded. Wilkinson and the women quickly put the pieces together in a little more than a week.

ATTEND THE MONOLOGUES

Time: 8 p.m. Saturday

Location: Bingham Black Box

Info: bit.ly/vaginamonologue

Twelve of UNC’s women will present a staged reading of “The Vagina Monologues,” which is based on Eve Ensler’s book. The presentation will include monologues from the book and original pieces written by performers.

Ensler’s book is a compilation of interviews, testimonial and facts about vaginas and sexuality.

In the past, the performances were organized by the V-Day Initiative, which was not planning to put on the production at UNC this year.

V-Day Initiative is a worldwide organization aimed at ending violence against females. V-Day Initiative raises funds and awareness through benefit productions of the monologues and other artistic works.

This year’s performance is independent from the V-Day organization but is working with the same goals in mind.

The purpose of this reading is to communicate the importance of all women’s stories.

Various issues related to women such as sexual violence and rape will be discussed in creative ways.

Senior Caroline Fisher will read Ensler’s monologue titled, “Because He Liked to Look at It.”

Senior Diana Iglesias will perform an original piece written by a fellow performer in which she talks to her vagina.

Though focused on women, this performance can be enjoyable and educational for men.

Sophomore Kene Onuorah said he would be interested in attending.

“Yes — interesting title,” he said.

Sophomore Allison Hawkins said she would attend because she “heard it can be a really moving experience.”

Wilkinson encouraged people to come early to ensure a seat.

“Come with an open mind, an open heart, ready to listen,” Wilkinson said. “Don’t judge quickly. I want people to get away from this that no matter what your story is, we want to hear these stories. Sharing experiences is vital for feminism and activism. Keep an open dialogue.”

Admission is free, but donations to the Orange County Rape Crisis Center are encouraged.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.