Women’s Week seeks to de?ne, reclaim feminism

Leaders say program is inclusive

Feminism is not a bad word.

That is the central message of the Carolina Women’s Center’s annual Women’s Week, this year titled “Take Back the F-word,” which is intended to promote a campus-wide discussion of feminism.

“What we are trying to do is not define feminism but to really start a conversation,” said Ashley Fogle, associate director of the Women’s Center.

Fogle said this program is gender-inclusive in hopes of reaching a broader audience.

The Women’s Center is also looking to incorporate student groups throughout campus to bring a diverse range of perspectives. It organized a planning committee including representatives from N.C. Hillel, the LGBTQ Center and the Men at Carolina living community.

Terri Phoenix, director of the LGBTQ Center, said Women’s Week provides an opportunity to discuss gender identity and expression.

In hopes of maintaining its focus on the University community, the committee decided to use local talent for the week’s festivities. Chancellor Holden Thorp will be among those conducting tonight’s fireside chat on creating a more inclusive University.

The week-long celebration of feminism kicked off at 3:30 p.m. Monday with an awards ceremony honoring women who have made significant contributions to UNC.

At 8 p.m., members of the UNC community presented performances and screened entries in the Feminist Film Festival. The films enacted various definitions of feminism.

Fogle said using members of the community not only helped to create a more locally focused event but also reduced costs.

The festivities will conclude Thursday with a dinner hosted by the women’s affairs committee of student government. That event will be followed by a viewing of “Whip It,” a film about a teenager who becomes involved in a roller derby league. The film is intended to reimagine the meaning and possibilities of feminism using humor as a lens.

Phoenix said these events are designed to target everyone, including those who don’t identify themselves as women or feminists.

“Women’s issues are everybody’s issues,” Phoenix said.